power outage
How to Survive a Power Outage in Murfreesboro, TN
January 16, 2017
HVAC contractors in Murfreesboro, TN
HVAC Contractors in Murfreesboro, TN: Do it the Right Way
February 13, 2017
Show all

Gas Fireplace Safety

gas fireplace

One thing that has probably been on your agenda since you’ve moved into your new place is to use the fireplace. You can’t ignore how tempting it would be for you to kickback and relax with your feet up in front of the roaring flames while you read a book and sip on some wine. However, before you do so, you should make contact your local gas fireplace services in Murfreesboro, TN for an inspection and take head of the following safety tips.

Make sure you know what kind of fuel your fireplace burns. If you have a wood burning fireplace and are interested in converting it to a gas one, you should discuss your wishes with your local gas fireplace services in Murfreesboro, TN. Do not attempt to do it yourself because this is not the type of job a novice should handle. You just moved into your new home so you should invest into it accordingly so it lasts.

• Have your fireplace inspected at least once a year.

• Keep your children and pets away from your fireplace at all times. They should never play near or it be left unsupervised in the same room as it.

• When you use your fireplace, do not place anything within a three-foot perimeter of it. This includes furnishes and draperies.

• Pay attention for any unusual odors. If you smell rotten eggs, it’s gas. You should vacate the premises right away and contact your local gas company.

• Invest in quality fireplace accessories. Your home and family are invaluable and are not something you want to lose because you were trying to save a few dollars.

Make sure your fireplace is up to code. Some of the biggest issues homeowners face when they move into their new property stem from existing issues that weren’t caught during before they signed to buy. If you take the time to correct them now, you may be able to head off some major repair issues that could turn your dream home into a nightmare.

You may have the option of having your gas fireplace vented. This can help to ensure that toxic fumes like carbon monoxide and gas vent directly out of your home, not inside of it where it could pose serious air quality issues for you and your family. Since safety is very important, you should also have a safety pilot built in to your fireplace as an extra precaution. In the event that too much carbon monoxide builds up inside of your fireplace or the temperature gets too cold, the gas will automatically shut off to prevent the risk of leaks and fire.

Even if you have some work done to your hearth by your local gas fireplace services in Murfreesboro, TN, you should still have it inspected and professionally cleaned prior to first use. The chimney should also be serviced so you can know whether it is safe or not for you to cozy up next to the warm hearth.

After you’ve gotten everything squared away with your local gas fireplace service in Murfreesboro, TN, you should install some carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home. Most fireplaces that are up to code do not affect the carbon monoxide levels in your home, but since this is a gas appliance, it’s better to be safe than sorry and out of a home or dead.

For more advice on how to manage your home’s heating and comfort, give PJ’s HVAC a call today at 615-645-3233. We can help you with any concerns you may have.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

//]]>